Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pimento Cheese (Public House Recipe)


Okay guys this is the BEST pimento cheese recipe EVER!  I used to hate the pre-made, really mushy kind you find with the lunch meats at the grocery store, but trust me this recipe is nothing like that!  If you have ever eaten at Public House in downtown Chattanooga you may have had the pleasure of eating this because it's one of their appetizers.  They serve it with grilled sourdough bread and fried pickles.  OMG it's absolutely to die for!  When I found their recipe in a magazine I had to try it for myself because I had it in the restaurant and well, it was love at first bite.  I made a batch and took it to the beach a couple of weeks ago for the group to munch on and it was a hit!  Everyone raved about it and they were practically licking the bowl clean.  You must try this next time you need an easy dish for tailgating, a party, a shower or just to make yummy sandwiches at home.  Let me know what you think!

RECIPE

2 - 8 oz. bricks cream cheese (room temperature)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 large red peppers, roasted, skinned, deseeded
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp salt

Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese until light (around 4 minutes).  While the mixer is going, puree one of the peppers in a food processor and small dice the other two.  To the mixer add the red pepper puree, balsamic vinegar, paprika, and salt.  Once combined, fold in grated cheddar and remaining diced peppers.  Chill before serving.

TIPS:

I didn't feel like roasting my own peppers so I bought a jar of them already roasted and ready to go!  They were near the pickles in the grocery store.  I couldn't find my food processor so I small diced all of the red peppers in the recipe and added them to the cream cheese with the vinegar and spices.  I also added the shredded cheese at that time too.  I personally wanted the pimento cheese to be more creamy than chunky.  That's just a personal preference.  We ate ours with the flat bread crisps in the tuscan herb flavor by Nabisco.  They're with the wheat thins and triscuits in the store.  At first I thought a whole tbsp of salt would be way too much, but once the spread was chilled, it tasted perfect.  Not too salty at all.  You could probably cut back on it a little if you are worried about it.  If your pimento cheese turns out a peachy or salmon color then you have done everything right!  It's not very yellow or orange like most recipes.  I hope you like this as much as we did!

3 comments:

  1. Do you have the magazine article by any chance? I somehow threw away my copy of local fare :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! I have to try this and we have a $50 gift card we've never used to Public House so now I really want to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Public House is one of our favorite places! You need to have a date night there soon! :) Sorry I don't have the article anymore, but that is where I got the recipe from.

    ReplyDelete