Sunday, July 11, 2010

My all time favorite cookie recipe


Hello! This is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, EVER. If you like moist, soft, cake-like cookies loaded with two varieties of chocolate chips then this is for you! Props go out to Martha Stewart for her excellence in all things baking. I promise you I will meet her one day and we will become instant friends. This is the type of cookie that you sneak out of bed in the middle of the night just to grad a couple more bites of these sinful, little pieces of deliciousness. Try it out and let me know what you think! Let me forewarn you by saying that if you are expecting a traditional Nestle Toll House kind of cookie (which I also LOVE), this is not for you, but hey why not live a little and break tradition. If you try it, I just know you will like it!


INGREDIENTS:

-1 1/4 cups AP flour

-1/2 tsp coarse salt

-1/4 tsp baking soda

-7 tbs unsalted butter, room temp

-1/4 cup granulated sugar

-1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar

-1 extra large egg, room temp

-1 tsp pure vanilla extract

-3 tbs sour cream

-3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

-3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
    DIRECTIONS:







    -Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    -Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda. Beat butter and sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
    -Beat in egg and vanilla.
    -Reduce speed to low.
    -Add flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with sour cream, and beat until just combined.
    -Stir in chocolate chips by hand, works best with a sturdy wooden spoon.
    -Cover and freeze for 10 minutes.
    -Using a 1 1/2" ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing about 2 inches apart.
    -Bake until centers are set and cookies are pale golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes.

    TIPS:

    -DO NOT OVER BAKE!  You want them to be very moist on the inside once they are cool.
    -I love baking on the silpat or silicon liners like the pink one shown on my cookie sheet.
    -Be sure to measure precisely because baking is a science, it's very different from cooking.
    -Buy new baking staples every few months.  The slightest irregularity can completely bomb your outcome.  Throw your flour, baking soda, and baking powder away if it's more then two months old.  That's just my rule of thumb, not scientific at all :)
    -I always use extra large eggs when baking.  Cakes, cookies, pies, and brownies just seem to turn out better when I use them.
    -Buy a good quality vanilla extract.  My personal favorite is from Williams Sonoma and sells for around $10 a bottle, but it is well worth it.  The brand is Neilsen-Massey Vanillas.

    Let me know how yours turn out and if you LOVE these cookies as much as I do!

    Amber



    3 comments:

    1. I will so be trying this very soon. I just haven't got a cc cookie recipe that I love. I'll let you know.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Amber! Love the blog! I have tried this recipe before for a housewarming gift for our new neighbors. They were so delicious, that the package I dropped off at their front doorstep was devoured by the neighborhood dogs!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I think baby Catie wants you to make these for her when you come visit Chatty :) That's just what she told me...

      ReplyDelete